Sunday, July 12, 2009

Out of the Tempurung

I believe that many of us agree that we are lacking of space for laboratory works in the Faculty of Science. Indeed, it has been a problem since long time ago. Nevertheless, despite knowing the fact that we are lacking of space, no one dares to address this issue to the administrators.

"I think this is a half-past six country which has no guts"
-Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad
News Straits Times, May 2, 2006.

It is so inconveniet for me to share a bench with so many people. I told Dr Habsah that we need more space but she said Datin Aisah refused to give us a new laboratory. I was very upset and finally, it ended up that I wrote to the VC and asked him to resolve this problem. I am glad that he responded me so quickly and a meeting was held on the next day. Hopefully this time they will really solve this problem for us.

It is so ridiculous that a Biochemistry laboratory does not have the equipments and facilities needed for our research. How can UM be a research university when we don't even have sufficient equipments. It is very much discouraging me..

I met Prof Roderick Dashwood on Wednesday during the workshop. He offered us to attach to his laboratory in US. I was so excited.. At least, if I could attach to his laboratory, I would not have the problems with space and equipments.

Reading a book called "Out of the Tempurung". It is a nice book reflecting the Malaysian society.. I like an article in it - An Apex of Mediocrity? A Reflection on the State of Our Public Universities - by Hoo Boo Teik..

"A tempurung is a coconut half-shell, but katak di bawah tempurung, or 'the frog beneath the tempurung', alludes to someone with an extremely limited view of the world. Out of the tumpurung as an invitation to think 'out of the box'."

--------------
Finally I am done with Alhan.. She will never be haunting me again.. I was a truly nightmare..

Dear Mr Asokan, We will miss you very much..

No comments:

Post a Comment